However, since any managed device may belong to any number of functional groups, multiple device templates may end up applying their settings to the device at the functional group level of the device template hierarchy (see device templates for more information on affected device settings and how multiple templates apply their settings to a device).
OmniCenter allows you to control the order in which functional groups have their respective device templates applied to devices. The configured order of application applies to all devices belonging to any functional groups. Naturally, functional groups with no device template assigned will have no effect on device settings.
To change the order in which functional group device templates are applied to devices, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Strategic Groups Administration page by selecting Administration → Grouping → Strategic Groups from the main menu.
- Click the Assign Template Order button to open the Functional Groups Template Order page.
- The Template Order table lists all active functional groups in OmniCenter and displays the device templates assigned to them.
- To change the order, click on the horizontal bars to the left of a functional group name and drag to the desired location within the list.
- When all functional groups have been arranged to your satisfaction, click the Update Template Order button at the bottom of the page. This will save the order in which functional group device templates will be applied to any applicable managed devices belonging to any of these groups.
If a managed device belongs to only one group, then only that group’s device template settings will be applied to the device. Similarly, if a managed device belongs to multiple groups, but only one of those groups has a device template assigned to it, only that group’s device template settings will be applied to the device. Otherwise, the device will receive settings from all device templates assigned to functional groups that the device belongs to, applied in the order set in the table above.