To create a new category device group in OmniCenter:
From the OmniCenter main menu, select Administration → Grouping → Category to open the the Category Administration page.
On the Category Administration page, click the Create New Category button to open the Create New Category pop-up dialog.
In the Create New Category pop-up dialog:
- Enter a name for your new category in the CATEGORY NAME field.
- This is the name that will be displayed in the dashboards and device group selection dialogs.
- It’s recommended that the name you choose not be longer than approximately 16 characters.
- Select a device classification for the category (Routers, Servers, etc.) using the CLASS pull-down.
- A category’s classification selection may not be changed once the category is created.
- In the TEMPLATE field, select a device template (if desired) to be applied to all of the devices that are put into this category.
- The selected template will be applied to devices at the “category” device template hierarchy level.
- A device template can be added, removed or changed at any time after a category has been created.
- Click the Create Category button to create your new category and be returned to the Category Administration page.
A message will be displayed at the top of the page indicating that your new group was successfully created.
OPTIONAL: If you wish to assign a device template to the category; click the edit icon in the Template column, select the desired device template in the pop-up dialog, and click Save. The settings from that device template will be applied to all devices in the group on the next discovery poll.
OPTIONAL: If you wish to assign a custom dashboard to the category; click the edit icon in the Custom Dashboard column, select the desired dashboard in the pop-up dialog, and click Save.
Your new category is created and now appears on the Category Administration page, ready to have devices added to it.